~ I didn't put away the hair cutting kit when I was finished with the boys and a certain four year old decided to take the opportunity to give his hairstyle some finishing touches. If anyone happens to notice an area that looks a bit patchy...well now you know why. I attempted to fix it up with the scissors but it seemed like I was only making it worse. I decided to leave it be and take comfort in the fact that hair does indeed grow back. Lesson learned: put away the scissors next time. And put them out of reach. On a side note: a little while after the incident I told my husband about it over the phone and he laughed hysterically! I'm thankful for a husband who helps me to lighten up about these things. :)
~ I spent the afternoon yesterday sweeping and mopping our floors and when I was finished I stepped back to admire my handiwork. Right about that same time a child fished around in the fridge searching for the sour cream for our tacos and suddenly, SPLAT! An entire container full of leftover rice and stir fry decorated our floor. Do you know how tedious of a job it is to clean up sticky, wet rice? I do. I mean, I did the right thing here and had my child start the clean up. But there are just some things that need a mother's final touch. I'm glad that I managed to keep my composure here. I mean, it's not like the child did it on purpose, right?!
But the thing that tried me the most and was literally "the icing on the cake" was attempting to frost the cake yesterday. Was the cake too moist? Why wouldn't the frosting bond to the cake? I would attempt to spread it on and it would pull away from the cake. Strange, boxed cake and a tub of frosting used to be so simple for me to put together but I keep running into problems lately. At one point I really did think that the cake was going to end up being a crumbled, goopy mess. But I managed to salvage it. At one point I flung the rubber spatula into the sink in a burst of lost patience but I managed to salvage that too. Thank God for the Spirit's reminder that I should be patient when attempting to frost a cake. Thank God for the sweet child who understands and forgives when mommy admits she was wrong to fling a spatula.
It's funny sometimes, when you consider all of the background details of life. These little trials are often peppered throughout the day and I know they happen to us all. But it's all worth it! We ended up having such a fun time with our guests.
Our little boy doesn't care about the patches on his head, after all he can't see them!
The floors were clean (for a little while anyway). ;)
The cake was pretty yummy, a tad crumbly, but yummy.
And the best part about the whole evening?
Loving and being loved. It's all because of Christ and because he loved us first. (1 John 4:19) I don't say that because it is Christian cliche. I say it with all my heart because I know it's true. There is joy here, there is laughter and there is love all because of the Son who has made us free. And I am so very thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment