Wednesday, July 2, 2014

so much opportunity

I don't know what it is about me and the library here.  It's like we can't seem to get our schedules in sync.  They aren't open when I am ready to go!  Once I was all excited to pick up a movie that I had placed on hold and I arrived five minutes too late.  They had closed at 7pm!  What a letdown!  Didn't the library that I used to go to close at 9pm?!  I guess that is how I am programed.  :)

Then, this morning, Bri and I decided to run over there real quick and drop off and pick up a few things.  It was 9:45am.  There were people coming out of the building which led me to believe that it was open.  We successfully entered through the outer doors, and followed behind another young lady toward the second set of doors leading into the library.  I was in a rush and wanted to get in and out as quick as possible.  But the doors were locked.  I looked in disbelief at the "hours of operations" sign on the window.  The library would not open until 10am.  No matter!  Bri and I headed outside to kill fifteen minutes reading from the book I was returning.  I hadn't read any of it yet and had concluded that July was just going to be too busy to try and squeeze in reading another book.  So I guess this was my golden opportunity!  We read a little about the story behind the Christmas song "The First Noel."  Hmmm...interesting.  Well, I don't think it held her interest.  She was a bit anxious to get inside the library after all.  And by the time 10am rolled around (actually it was more like four minutes after ten) we entered the library along with the crowd of people that had gathered around just waiting for those doors to open up.  Turns out, I wasn't the only one that assumed it would be open before ten.  Well, now I know.  In fact, I shall never forget when this library opens and closes!  :)  I do believe I have got it down pat.

Library hours aside, it was nice to have the time with Bri.  I enjoy talking with her and challenging her to think about things that she may not have really considered before.  On the way to the library today I asked her if she could describe to me what pride is.  That was a little hard at first but some ideas were drawn out and it was a great opportunity to teach her more about God and how we should relate to him.  

I'm learning to not only take advantage of opportunities to point my children to Christ but also to initiate more conversations like this.  Simply asking questions, learning how they think and helping them learn to put truth into words as they grow in their understanding of things.

It's a privilege to be a momma to these eight kiddos.  I look forward to what opportunities tomorrow may bring and I pray that I will be careful not to miss them.


                                                                                                                                                                    
                                                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment