Everything was going well until I realized that I was doing the stitch incorrectly. In fact, I had done stitches where I wasn't supposed to and my project was coming out all weird and wavy. After about an hour of work (at least I was somewhat watching movie) I reluctantly had to unravel my project.
No matter, at least I had realized my mistake. I began again. I kept testing the size around my neck to make sure it would fit well. It seemed good but the further along I went, the tighter it seemed to get. I wanted it to have at least some drape to it. I could keep going (very tempting at this point) and end up with an infinity scarf that is too small and will never be worn or I could learn from that mistake too and start again with more stitches this time.
Even with something as relaxing and enjoyable as crochet it is hard to undo your hard work and effort. It's tempting to think that time has been wasted since all the work is undone. But is it wasted? Didn't I learn from those mistakes? I have had some measure of success with other scarves. Not totally perfect but I was still pleased with the results. But I was really earning my stripes with this one. Each time I unraveled it I felt a little frustrated but I also dreamed of how beautiful it was going to be when I finally got it right.
I was thinking about this today as I was going about my morning routine. I thought about how much this concept relates to ministry and our efforts to serve God. Not everything gets off the ground so easily no matter how good your intentions. Not everything plays out exactly as you plan or imagine it would.
Efforts are made, time is spent, energy is expended and it does not go as well as we would have hoped. But you know what? It's ok. Really it is. Because God is still at work. We are learning. We are works in progress. The whole lot of us!
He will be at work through every failure, every disappointment and every dashed hope. He has power to work in hearts in a way that no one on this earth can. He doesn't need large numbers. He has an even greater vision than we do of what he wants his church to become. He is the author and finisher of our faith! He is not done! No matter how small your turn out. No matter how little response you get for you efforts. Don't lose heart. Stay faithful. Keep at it. And who knows what wonderful things God might do through you if you stick with it and never give up.
No comments:
Post a Comment