Thursday, November 26, 2015

Open our eyes

Hearts may be darkened and held captive by the power of sin but there is One whose power has broken the chains of sin and death.  There is One whose perfection covers our imperfections.  

There is One who shows us how needy we really are.  We can compare ourselves to others and conclude that their need is greater than our own.  But that is our pride and arrogance.  When we compare ourselves to Him, we see how much we fall short of His glory.  And it is in this realization that a wonderful relationship begins. 

A relationship that is based on our need being met by a perfect and holy God.  This is the truest and most beautiful love we will ever know.

Many people do not understand what this Christianity thing is all about.  They think it's church on Sunday and living according to certain standards...praying before you eat and not saying bad words. Sure, these things should be a result of a changed heart.  But they are not all.

I am not the same person I used to be.  And it is not because I got religion.  It is not because I turned my life around.  It is because God met my deepest need.  I thought I was pretty moral compared to some.  But then the splendor of his holiness showed me otherwise.  I thought I had made a pretty good life for myself until I understood that he had given me my life and I wasn't living it for him.  I thought that, overall, I had made good enough choices but I wept when I realized my guilt and that God had chosen to love me and forgive because His Son died for my sins.

I am thankful that God, in his amazing love and mercy, opened my eyes to my need for forgiveness.  He helped me to see that I was not whole, I was not right and that all I ever needed was found in Christ!

It doesn't matter what circumstance we are in, we can thank God for the wonderful grace we have been shown.  Each of us will face a certain degree of imperfections during the holidays.  Relationships are difficult and not always what we wish they were.  Our pies might get burnt.  We may feel lonely and long for better days.  Take heart!  God is at work in and through us!  

People are trusting in Christ to forgive their sins.  People are choosing to show love and grace instead of hate and bitterness.  This is God's work.  And it is glorious to behold.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment