It's a wonder that I am still awake at this time of night. It is also a wonder that Samuel is still sleeping in his crib. And he has finally stopped his ritual of crying as soon as he is placed within it. You would think I was laying him on bed of nails. He would be fast asleep with his head on my shoulder and as soon as I put him in his crib it was all over! Pretty frustrating for mom and dad! Isn't it funny how babies go through phases? And then, one day you realize (with a great sense of relief) that they don't do that "thing" anymore.
And so here I am typing for the first time in a long time. And it's because my mind is very active and it's also because I wanted to write about something that has been a source of joy for me.
I really do strive to be more intentional about teaching my children about God and providing a home where they can grow and flourish. It is easy to lose sight of important goals as the busyness of life seems to take over and push them aside. Sometimes I feel as though I swimming against a current when I seek to establish important patterns in our day to day life. But I have found that with a little prayer, planning and resolve we can pull it off.
And we have...for ten evenings. How do I know that? Because most evenings after we eat our dinner we read one chapter of the Bible. Tonight we read from Genesis chapter ten. We plan to read from Genesis to Revelation...one chapter an evening. If we miss an evening, it's ok. Though we try not to. But we can just pick right up where we left off. And it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the end. Who knows? We might just start all over again!
Are the kids perfect about sitting still and listening? Not always.
Do we sometimes have to stop reading and address that? Yes...often.
But it's worth it.
And after we read we just ask them whatever questions we can think of. We don't cover everything. My husband doesn't exposit the entire chapter! Lol! We just ask questions and those who were listening usually know the answers. And you know what? We have fun! At least I do! :)
I realize this is not some monumental, impressive method of doing things but that is exactly the point. It's so simple. You don't need some drawn out lesson plan. Just gather the kids and read the Word of God to them.
We have such a sweet time together and we have already built some precious memories. The best thing about it is getting to know our God more and more each time...
And the way Isabel answers some of the questions...now that is priceless!
And so here I am typing for the first time in a long time. And it's because my mind is very active and it's also because I wanted to write about something that has been a source of joy for me.
I really do strive to be more intentional about teaching my children about God and providing a home where they can grow and flourish. It is easy to lose sight of important goals as the busyness of life seems to take over and push them aside. Sometimes I feel as though I swimming against a current when I seek to establish important patterns in our day to day life. But I have found that with a little prayer, planning and resolve we can pull it off.
And we have...for ten evenings. How do I know that? Because most evenings after we eat our dinner we read one chapter of the Bible. Tonight we read from Genesis chapter ten. We plan to read from Genesis to Revelation...one chapter an evening. If we miss an evening, it's ok. Though we try not to. But we can just pick right up where we left off. And it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the end. Who knows? We might just start all over again!
Are the kids perfect about sitting still and listening? Not always.
Do we sometimes have to stop reading and address that? Yes...often.
But it's worth it.
And after we read we just ask them whatever questions we can think of. We don't cover everything. My husband doesn't exposit the entire chapter! Lol! We just ask questions and those who were listening usually know the answers. And you know what? We have fun! At least I do! :)
I realize this is not some monumental, impressive method of doing things but that is exactly the point. It's so simple. You don't need some drawn out lesson plan. Just gather the kids and read the Word of God to them.
We have such a sweet time together and we have already built some precious memories. The best thing about it is getting to know our God more and more each time...
And the way Isabel answers some of the questions...now that is priceless!
Kaitlyn suggested this in Feb 2010 saying she had a project idea that we wouldn't finish in a week! (Bit of an understatement.) We got to Jeremiah 3 before she went non-homeschool last year. Sometimes we drew pictures or wrote a sentence summary in a journal that has space at the top of the page and lines at the bottom. Enjoy the journey. Sharon
ReplyDelete