[A letter to my children after a tiring day of assignments to finish and tasks to complete...]
I just want the work to be done so that we enjoy the fruits of our labors. I am hoping that you learn the joy that comes from a job well done. I am hoping that you learn how much time it saves when you do the job right the first time. I still remember my parents telling me this and I find myself saying the same thing to you and inwardly I wonder if you are really hearing me or not.
I was a kid once too. I know how you feel. But I also know how you need to grow and change the way you think about the work you have to do. Today had its struggles and those things that were left undone or done halfway or not at all just caused this momma to wonder if we'll ever get this ship sailing smoothly. But bad days tend to brush a dark stroke over all of the brightness I may be failing to notice. We are works in progress...the whole lot of us! And by God's grace our weak spots will be brought to maturity.
Please never think of me as a woman who is all work and no fun. I think, at times, that I may have thought the same of my parents. But then I remember them out with us kids on the sidewalk that ran along our street. My mom and dad both trying to ride on our skateboards. They needed a break from it all too. They probably wanted to have fun just as much as we did.
And that was me tonight...
After dinner when I went out to the garage to get on that treadmill...I was pretty focused on what I needed to accomplish. And I had such a great view of the driveway and some of you, my beautiful children, playing and laughing. The sun was beginning to set but there was still plenty of light to ride your bikes back and forth along our street. You've been trying to "pop wheelies" and ride with no hands. Just like I used to do when I was your age. I smiled while I watched you and it helped the time to pass for me while I walked at a fast pace on that machine.
But then I remembered that I have a bike too. And I got all excited just thinking about how much of a kick you all would get out of it if you saw me riding on my bike. I was right, you all loved it! And we raced and we laughed and I have to say...I felt like a kid all over again.
Thank you for that.
...And I hope that someday you'll thank me for teaching you how to work hard. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment